The Church On The Corner came into existence on September 6, 1908 as a house church in the residence of Mrs. L.S. Hiney of Albany. By November 7, 1908 a building for the new church was underway at Stannage and Brighton Avenues. Service at this location began on February 28, 1909 under the name of Chapel Immanuel Baptist Church.
The church later moved to a new facility built at Portland Ave. and Key Route Boulevard and was renamed to First Baptist Church of Albany. Its current building at 1319 Solano Avenue was built and dedicated into ministry on June 27, 1948.
On July 2, 2005 the name of the church was changed to The Church On The Corner. This name was chosen because many people in the community refer to it that way. On November 2, 2008, Mayor Lieber proclaimed this date to be “Church on the Corner Day” for the City of Albany in commemoration of the church’s 100 years of existence in and service to the Albany community.
The Church On The Corner is affiliated with Growing Healthy Churches [GHC]. GHC is based in San Ramon, CA and is comprised of almost 250 churches. Many GHC churches are located in northern California and northwest Nevada which are part of a growing national presence through the planting of churches in all regions of the country. The Church On The Corner is affiliated with GHC because of the mutual alignment of core values of being Bible-based and Christ-centered and having a common mission and vision.